Sunday, May 23, 2010

keeping it simple.

"In a recent radio interview I was sternly asked by the host, who did not consider himself a Christian, to defend Christianity. I told him that I couldn't do it, and moreover, that I didn't want to defend the term. He asked me if I was a Christian, and I told him yes. "Then why don't you want to defend Christianity?" he asked, confused. I told him I no longer knew what the term meant. Of the hundreds of thousands of people listening to his show that day, some of them had terrible experiences with Christianity; they may have been yelled at by a teacher in a Christian school, abused by a minister, or browbeaten by a Christian parent. To them, the term Christianity meant something that no Christian I know would defend. By fortifying the term, I am only making them more and more angry. I won't do it. Stop ten people on the street and ask them what they think of when they hear the word Christianity, and they will give you then different answers. How can I defend a term that means ten different things to ten different people? I told the radio show host that I would rather talk about Jesus and how I came to believe that Jesus exists and that he likes me. The host looked back at me with tears in his eyes. When we were done, he asked me if we could go get lunch together. He told me how much he didn't like Christianity but how he had always wanted to believe Jesus was the Son of God."
                  -excerpted Blue like Jazz, Donald Miller
-------
Perhaps that's what we're called to do.

To talk about a Jesus that not only loves you but who actually likes you. Who actually likes to spend time with you. Who wants to hug and kiss you every moment of every living day.

Even though you're so unlovable.

*
Jesus didn't invent the term Christianity. We did. He came to say, I love you. : )

*
Imperfect people pointing people to a perfect lover.

Planetshakers - God Is Able

2 comments:

sereneannabelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sereneannabelle said...

i rephrase:

if you didnt know,

i used to really dislike Christians and the whole notion of christianity

:)

but when i discovered tt my "guardian angel" has been Jesus, it really changed everything.